Spotify is introducing a brand new way to share & discover music
I’m a huge fan of making it as easy as possible for artists to share their music with their fans. It looks like Spotify is too as they’ve just released this great new tool which allows users to share any track, artist, album, or playlist available on Spotify, as easily as taking a picture.
Think of Spotify Codes like the equivalent of a QR code that your fans can scan on their phones to quickly access your tracks, albums, or playlists. Spotify Codes are now available worldwide for Android and iOS.
There are probably dozens of good uses for these codes, but here’s a basic list of options:
1. Bring some prominence to your playlists
Playlists aren’t always as easily searchable on Spotify as artists, albums, and song titles. Sometimes playlists won’t appear in a search at all until they have a certain amount of followers. That means that someone would have to go to your artist discography page on Spotify first, then scroll down to see what playlists you’re featuring on that page. Spotify Codes gives you a much simpler way to make sure fans are finding and following your playlists.
2. Share Spotify Codes on Instagram
Since Instagram makes it hard to link followers to external URLs, you can share a picture of your Spotify Code, ask fans to take a screenshot, and then they can link right to your music.
3. Display a Spotify Code at your merch booth (or from stage)
Tell the audience to take a picture of the code and they can blast your tunes in the car ride home.
4. Keep an image of your Spotify Codes in your camera roll
Then you’ll have an easy way to share your music when you’re face-to-face with someone who wants to check out your tunes. They can take out their phone, open up Spotify, and scan the image right off your screen.
5. Print a Spotify Code on your concert posters
And on your flyers, business cards, one-sheets, etc. If the artwork catches their attention, you might be able to entice them to start listening to your music right then and there.
How to access and share a Spotify Code
- To find a Spotify Code, click on the ellipsis (“…”) next to the artist, song, album, or playlist you want to share.
- Once you do, the code will appear at the bottom of the artwork.
- Click on the artwork with the code.
- Save the image to your camera roll by clicking “Save to Photos.”
- Share away!
- Be sure to tell your fans that all they need to do is open Spotify and find the camera icon (located next to the search bar).